Designer of many tatting patterns. Simple method of beaded tatting. Flowers are my inspiration!

Tuesday, 29 April 2008

Gladiolus progression



I thought you would all like to see how I have developed the gladiolus that I have been designing. Even the experts don't always get it right first time! Sometimes a pattern works out well with just one go but I find that that is not very often. It is much more likely to take 3 or even more goes to get it exactly how I want it.
The first picture shows the very first trial. I didn't bother to complete the third petal as I new it was not right. The petals need to be pointed and this was no way near enough.
The second picture shows that by doing the lock stitch chain (LSC) it achieved the point that I was after but on the first two petals I did the centre vein with block tatting. On the third petal I decided to do the centre vein with LSC to see what a difference it made and I thought that it looked much better.
The third picture shows my finished design of the petals. I will make another set of three petals and place them, offset, on top of the first set to achieve the correct shape of the gladilous.
Now all I have to do is to write out the pattern, design the calyx and make a bud! Not much pressure then!!! But you all know I love it really!

Monday, 28 April 2008

Queen Anne's Lace



Here, as promised yesterday, are the pictures for the Queen Anne's Lace that is one of the flowers that will be in my new ebook Summer Collection of Tatted Flowers. The pattern incorporates the daisy picot ring technique.

And now here is a link to the PDF pattern.

Sunday, 27 April 2008

New ebook update

I am getting along well with the new book of summer flowers. Thanks to many of the Ring members I have now more ideas to work with.
I have completed the Queen Anne's Lace and I am really pleased with it. I will post a pic of it when I photograph it in the daylight! The written instructions are not done yet but they will be very straightforward, for once!!!
I started to do a gladidolus and ended up with a very pretty flower. I was not right for a gladi but luckily it was ideal for a hollyhock! Back to the drawing board on the gladi. I have restarted it and I think the latest attempt will be much nearer the mark.

Monday, 21 April 2008

Split Ring Demonstration Video

video

Christening Cake Bootees



Instead of making a Christening cake decoration in icing sugar, that is so fragile that it might break in transit, I decided to make this little scaled down pair in tatting. The pattern, as many of you will recognise, is from Rebecca Jones' Complete Book of Tatting and I used Anchor cotton size 80. I shall be decorating the cake shortly and will post a picture when it is done.

Friday, 18 April 2008

New ebook in the offing

I am presently working on a new ebook that should be available in the summer - in fact it will be called "The Summer Collection of Tatted Flowers".
I'm keeping the contents close to my chest at the moment but I'm sure you will all be pleased with the brand new designs!
If anyone has got a favourite summer flower that they think I could create in tatting then let me know and I will do my best to include it in the new book!

Monday, 14 April 2008

New Video Coming Soon!

I am in the process of doing another video tatting deomstration. This time it will be on 2 methods of doing split rings. I would appreciate some input as to whether this would be a useful subject.

Monday, 7 April 2008

Pom Pom Dahlia



I have put this pom pom dahlia on my blog to show the use of a button with a shank. This flower is quite labour intensive but the end result is very effective. The petals are made individually and then glued onto the flat top of the button. I then thread a wire through the shank to represent the flower stem.
I have now added a link to the PDF pattern of this flower.

Sunday, 6 April 2008

Organza headdress

I have designed this little headdress for the bride who doesn't want a big veil but still wants a hint of the traditional. The delicate organza handles and works well into the fabric roses and sparkles in bright light. I have edged the little veil with my overlocker (serger) to make a tiny, tidy edging. I have added the ivory feathers with diamantes to compliment the daimantes in the centre of the roses and to add a touch of opulence! The whole ensemble is attached to a plastic comb to make it easy to wear.

Thursday, 3 April 2008

Complete Golden Tiara

Here is the little golden tiara completely made up. I use welding wire (from the ironmongers), cut to size, and covered with gold ribbon, for the tiara base and I have glued the tatting onto it. I re-stiffened the tatting with a good spray of extra-hold hairspray to finish it off. The hairpsray gives the crystals a good shine as well as helping with the stiffening! I've held the tiara in the second picture so that you have an idea of the actual size.