Designer of many tatting patterns. Simple method of beaded tatting. Flowers are my inspiration!

Thursday 28 January 2010

Stiffening tatting with boracic crystals

As many of you know I am in the process of designing a bridal tiara for my future daughter-in-law and, in the past, have always stiffened tiaras with a sugar syrup, as I want the tiara to be rock hard.

Many of our fellow tatters do not like using sugar syrup because they concerned with insect problems. I have never had this problem in the UK as it doesn't really get hot enough, for long enough, to cause a problem. Also it may have something to do with the fact that I bake my syrupped tatting in the oven!

Anyway....I thought I would try the boracic crystals favoured by many tatters, as it not only stiffens but sparkles as well. Weelllll! OK this is true. I dilligently stiffened my sample motifs of tatting with the borax and yes, they were fairly stiff, and yes, they did sparkle, but unfortunately, every time you touch the motif, the sparkly crystals come off onto my fingers.....just like a Christmas card.....which is not very good for an item that is going to be put into a bride's hair! Looks just like dandruff! LOL

Ah well back to the baked syrup. But before then, I am going to see how stiff I can get my motifs with PVA glue and will report back later.

3 comments:

Red said...

What temp do you set your oven to?

Valerie said...

i stiffened my snowflake, for the first time, using PVA glue mixed with a little water so it's easy to apply on. after letting it dry, i applied a second layer. the snowflake's stiff and nice. no problem there. also, i poured some iridescent glitter in the glue mixture before applying it to the snowflakes. turns out well. the glitter doesn't come off. hope this helps.

Art by JoyMac said...

This is a very intersting subject and I will certainly try the sugar syrup......putting the item in the oven as you say you do might stop any insects from attacking the tatting....good for you Linda.
Joy