Designer of many tatting patterns. Simple method of beaded tatting. Flowers are my inspiration!

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Bobbin tightening!

You know the trouble we all have with bobbin type shuttles.....the bobbins soon become slack with wear, so much so, that you can't use any pull on the shuttle without the bobbin unwinding? Well, I have found the perfect answer.
I had recently tried using bits of rubber bands, which was better than nothing, but not yet perfect.
I thought maybe a solution would be to fill the hole in the centre of the bobbin with a substance that would dry but also be flexible and decided to try the sort of silicone that is used for decoupage.
I bought some from my local craft store and gave it a try. IT WAS MAGICAL!!! The shuttle worked perfectly! I could put plenty of pressure on the bobbin without it unwinding but a little more pressure let me pull out as much thread as I needed.
I am chuffed to bits! LOL!!!

14 comments:

Olga Tatiana Rostkowska said...

that's awesome, gotta try this on my loose bobbins! <3

Michelle said...

Further proof that you are brilliant! I can't wait to try this!

Ladytats said...

Thanks I will have to remember that.

Marty said...

There's a trip to the store coming up! Gotta get some of that!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Thanks for the tip!

I find it fascinating that the original Aeros Made in England don't seem to have this problem (at least mine don't, but then I'm not doing that much tatting these days). Whatever mold they used was beautifully and perfectly engineered, and we took them for granted! I appreciate that other manufacturers are trying to duplicate them, but so far none have come up to that standard!

Jane McLellan said...

That's a big problem, so I'm glad you have a solution. I read once that putting the shuttle into boiling water briefly and then holding it onto the bobbin would help. I have tried it, but didn't have great success.

Unknown said...

That is amazing Linda, looks like I will be looking to see if I can get this glue here in the land of OZ LOL
Hugs
Joy

Beverly said...

Are you talking about ANY bobbin type shuttle? Exactly where is it that you put the Mod Podge (or whatever type you used)? On the little bumps the dip into the center hole of the bobbins (holding it in place)?

Toptattyhead said...

Beverley, I use the Pony shuttles, but I would expect it to work on any bobbin type as it is the bobbin that you put the silicone in. I fill the hole in the centre of the bobbin with the silicone and let it cure for 24 hours.

N. Maria said...

Linda, I have only one bobbin that's doing this....can the silicone be removed so I can put my bobbin on my thread winder? I bet it can and thank you for the GREAT tip!

Toptattyhead said...

Yes, N, Maria, the silicone dries rubbery and can be pushed out and then pushed back in again.

N. Maria said...

That's wonderful! Makes sense, too! That way you don't have to refill just pop it back in! OMG! my email: knackfulknitter(at)gmail(dot)com

Brenda said...

I will give this a go. Thank you!
Brenda.

Unknown said...

Was thinking of trying this with hot glue but was worried about melting the bobbin thank you I was getting discouraged